Thursday, October 15, 2009

Leftovers

I love to use little bowls when I cook. I cut, measure, and put everything in their own little bowl so they're all ready to go. I also like to pretend I'm on a cooking show so you'll usually find me talking to an imaginary camera person as I'm preparing the evening meal. I never said I was normal.

So tonight we're having vegetarian enchiladas. I have a ton of brown rice to use this week, a half of a red pepper and yellow onion -- sounds like enchiladas to me. I used to have a rocking recipe for enchilada sauce, but dang if I could find it so I just threw something together. Wasn't half bad if I say so myself!

Enchiladas Estoy Desperada

Enchilada Filling:

1 15 oz can pinto beans drained
2 cups (approx) cooked brown rice
1/2 small yellow onion diced
1/2 red bell pepper diced
1/2 cup shredded cheddar
1 tbsp vegetable oil
6 flour tortillas

Enchilada Sauce:

2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp flour
1 6 oz can tomato paste
3 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups vegetable stock (or water)

Saute bell pepper and onion, cool and mix with rice and beans. Set aside.
Heat vegetable oil over medium heat, add flour. Cook for a minute or two stirring constantly.
Add Chili powder, Oregano and Cumin and cook for a minute or two stirring constantly.
Add tomato paste and cook for a minute or two stirring constantly. Add about a 1/2 cup stock/water to keep from burning.
Add remainder of stock/water and salt.
Bring to boil, reduce heat, and cook until thickened, about 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally.
Assemble enchiladas, top with sauce and cheese. Heat in 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.

Ta-dah!

No comments:

Post a Comment