Saturday, June 20, 2009

Yum, Hummus

I love, love, love hummus. I used to make it all the time when the kids were younger. It was always good, but I made it in a blender and it was such a hassle I just starting buying the Costco stuff. After throwing away yet another half eaten container of soupy, tasteless hummus I decided to start making my own again only this time I have a food processor which makes it so easy!! I cook my own beans (if time allows). Why use cooked beans over canned? Well, they taste better, and it helps you control your salt intake. Of course it takes a lot more time, and it's messy removing the skins after cooking. Kat wanted the recipe (which I've adapted from the Barefoot Contessa) so here it is!

Paul's Hummus

5-6 cloves roasted garlic (you can use fresh garlic, but I'd cut it down to 3-4 cloves)
5-6 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (the juice of two lemons)
3 cups cooked garbanzo beans (you can substitute with two 14 oz cans, rinsed)
1/3 cup Tahini (probably best to start with 1/4 cup and then add to taste)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt (or salt to taste)
Roasted sweet red peppers (add to taste)
2-3 Tbsp water (optional)

Quarter the cloves of garlic and then put in the food processor and pulse until minced. Add lemon juice, garbanzo beans, and Tahini and process. Add thin strips of roasted sweet red peppers and process. I probably add about half a pepper -- just add to taste. You can use fresh sweet peppers, but it's not as good. Salt to taste. If the hummus is too pasty or dry add a few tablespoon or so of water to loosen. The water usually isn't needed unless you omit the red pepper.

Roasted Red Peppers
Brush liberally with vegetable oil. Place on baking sheet under broiler and turn as they skin starts to boil and blacken. I've never timed the process but it'll probably take about 30 minutes. You don't have to watch constantly, but do keep a mindful eye 'cause they can burn quickly. When finished place in Pyrex (or equivalent) container and cover tightly with Saran Wrap and let set for about 20 minutes. When cool enough to handle pull off skin, remove core, open pepper and scrape out seeds. Cut into strips and store in container with olive oil and chopped garlic.

Roasted Garlic
Remove loose paper covering from a head of garlic. Cut off the top of the head just enough to expose the cloves (about 1/2 inch). Place on aluminum foil, drizzle liberally with olive oil and wrap tightly. Place in 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until the delicious aroma of roasted garlic fills the kitchen. Let cool, and pop clove from the skin. Store in container, drizzled lightly with olive oil.

1 comment:

  1. You and I use pretty much the same recipe. The only difference is that instead of adding water, I save the juice from either cooking the garbanzos or from the can to add more flavor. My sister gave me a pita recipe, but it makes like 30, so I have been avoiding it....

    ReplyDelete