Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lunch with Mom

I love German food.  Maybe it's in the genes since I am half German.  Not long after we moved here my dad discovered a German restaurant in Tacoma.  I think it was the Bavarian, Chalet, something like that.  Anyway it was on 6th Avenue kitty corner from Mary Bridge Children's Hospital.  When they closed their doors, well it was a very sad day at the Grow house.  I don't think I've had Sauerbraten since.  

So when the TNT ran a story about Bruno's European Cafe Mom and I decided to give the place a try.  Long and short of it, the service was horrible, but I loved my food.  Our server was a lovely older woman with an adorable accent (German I presume) who forgot to put my mom's order in, mixed up on delivering the orders for the four tables in her section, and didn't charge for a couple items on our check (don't worry -- we had her fix the error). 

Come on!  How good does this look?!!

The food was delicious.  Or at least mine was.  I ordered a 1/2 order of Bruno's Special, Jagerschnitzel or breaded pork cutlet.  It came with pureed (their term) potatoes (mashed potatoes) and gravy, cucumber salad, a cup of soup (I chose the Goulash), roll and butter.  So good!  My mom wasn't as impressed with the Kielbasa she ordered.  She said she didn't care for the way it was prepared.  She liked the side dishes, German potato salad, sauerkraut, and her soup choice was the Hangover Soup (a cheesy soup with veggies and pickles of all things!)

The prices for lunch were very reasonable I thought.  My meal cost less than $9.00, and my mom's was less than $8.00.  Mom wasn't too sure if she'd go again, but I sure wouldn't mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment