Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Trying to Grow Old Gracefully

When I was younger I always hated when old people talked about their accomplishments when they were young. How thin they were, how athletic they were, how they looked before the wrinkles. I thought, well who cares? They're not that way now, so what does it matter? I was shocked to discover that the "when I was younger" speech was starting to work its way into my conversations too. Well actually shocked isn't quite strong enough. I was aghast, alarmed, maybe even frightened. Oh, no, I was going to be one of "those" people.


I don't mind getting older. I'm a little sorry I haven't aged as gracefully as I would have liked. Years of ignoring sun block, eating whatever I wanted, smoking and drinking started taking their toll on my appearance.


Well I may not be able to do much about the sun spots and wrinkles, but I can do something about my weight. Starting this week I'm exercising every day. Maybe just walking for now, but on weekends I'll be riding my bike, and will work into going back to the gym next month. I know I won't look like I did when I was in my 20's, but I'm sure I'll feel better.


No comments:

Post a Comment